So the New Year is starting off pretty well as far as knitting goes. I've just finished Marnie's Wyvern Socks. It was a very easy knit - the pattern was easy to memorize after a while. My third pair of socks which I think turned out pretty well - it made for good commute knitting. If I were to do them again there are a few things I'd change -
- Not too stripey a color of yarn - the striping of the Lorna's Laces detracted from the lovely scale design, Koigu would probably be really pretty.
- No bottom ribbing - it makes for a little too snug a fit for me, and while it does fit - when the sock is not on - the ribbing pulls the yarn in to the point where it looks extremely narrow. It got mistaken for a willy warmer more than once.
- DOUBLE check your dye lots. I used 1 skein of Lorna's Laces and got to about 2" from the end of the cuff on the 2nd sock when I had to break out the 2nd skein... which ended up being SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the first skein. *headdesk* I was pretty sure the dye lot was the same too. So I had two choices, frog back the first sock to a point where I could steal the yarn and even out the lengths, or suck it up and deal with a lighter cuff and knit to the same length as the first. Guess which I chose? The lazy way of course! Who looks at cuffs anynow, they are usually hidden by pantleg.
- Next time - two socks on two circulars knit at the same time. No more 2nd sock syndrome for me.
- Kitchener Bind off next time - while I like the stretchiness of the picot bind off, I hate how it rolls downward when you wear them
All in all, I love them even with the minor color issue, the pattern was well written and fun to knit up. The color is a little blotchy cause they are slightly damp being blocked on my feet.
Pattern: Marnie MacClean's Wyvern Socks
Yarn: Lorna's Laces (oops threw away the band) 1.25 skeins
Needles: Addi Turbo's Size 2
Method: Toe up w/ Magic Loop
Toe: Short Row
Heel: Short Row
Bind Off: 2 cast on/ 4 cast off Picot Bind Off
I've also done my swatch for the Sexy Knitters Club Picovili KAL - Knit Picks Shine in Orchid. I really like this yarn! Its super soft, and makes a nice tight fabric. I got gauge with Size 4 circ's and the color is cheery and bright.
I'd not completely decided to participate until my credit card threw itself at the KnitPicks web site. Can't beat the price either at $2.29 a ball - definately won't be finding something that nice at Michael's or Walmart.
My contribution to JenLa's ugly avatar contest:
Would it be too gauche of me to bring knitting to Heidi's housewarming? What if I brought booze and fried risotto balls? (I thought of Fried Rice Balls, but I know how perverted ya'll are)