I'm just cranking out Finished Objects this year, and I think it has a lot to do with not allowing myself to cast on new projects until my UFOs are done. Amazing how much progress can be made when you actually focus. Quel surpris!
I finished up Picovoli today and even wore it to knitting at the Whistlestop Pub which was nice. I really enjoy meeting up with the San Diego knitbloggers because I've gotten to know them better over the last few months, and they are so much fun to hang out with. In attendance were: Heidi, Wendy, Hilari, Chris, Mary Kay, and I saw Kris at the Grove when we walked over for a yarn fix. (for the record I stuck to my resolutions and did not buy any yarn - just Scarf Style which has Lady Eleanor in it.. which I am probably going to join the KAL once I get the yarn - which will be after I finish my Broadripple wrist warmers. I'm just knitting the pattern until the cuff is about 3" long then I'm doing a stockinette palm with the thumb gusset from the BroadStreet gloves.
Yes - its true. My middle name IS Frankenstein.
Ok back onto the subject of my Picovoli.
Pattern: Picovoli on Magknits by Grumperina
Size: 40" bust
Yarn: KnitPicks Shine in Orchid - lil' bit over 5 skeins
Needles: Size 4 metal circs
Started: Swatched on Jan 6 and knit a bit each evening and on the way to work
Finished: Feb 5th
Some modifications to the pattern - I added about 2" to the bottom and just continued working the waist increases until it was the length that I wanted, and I only did 6 waist decrease rounds, and I probably could have used one or two more. One thing I didnt like was how large the armholes were so if I were to knit it again I would make them smaller - they seemed to sag a bit. I'd also go down one size because in my over estimation of what size I'd need and the underestimation of how much KnitPicks Shine would stretch - it ended up being a little looser than I wanted.
Over all though - the pattern is very well written and while there is a lot of stockinette - the shaping is quite lovely. I might add a lace inset next go around to keep things interesting.
I did try a couple of new techniques - the picot edging is definately something I would try again in another project, I also tried out the Russian Join, which I've decided is just not for me. I wasnt able to get the two yarns well joined enough and I could see where the join was because the stitches were puffy. I prefer my usual Doubling Up join where you knit with both yarns for 4-5 stitches and then you drop the old yarn and just knit with the new yarn. It makes for a much smoother transition in all but really bulky yarns.
Here is a side by side comparison: